I have done a lot of important things in my life. As a therapist for children and families for over 20 years, I helped many young people overcome difficulties in their lives. As an artist and teacher, I have enriched many lives with my creativity. Each person that I have encountered in my work has been as important to my life as I have been to theirs. My pursuits have been driven by the sentiments in this often repeated quote: "A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child." ~ Forest E. Witcraft I have taken pride in knowing that I have helped others throughout my career. Still yet, I have always wanted to do more and reach more people. I have a desire to make a difference in the lives of children around the world, regardless of whether I actually meet them. I know that the stories and artworks of Mia Meow have already made a difference in the lives of the children who have been in my art classes. It would be so wonderful to bring that same joy to others on a grander scale. You can help me make a difference by helping me bring the "Oh My, Mia Meow!" Children's Picture Book to countless children around the world. Each contribution to the Indiegogo Campaign brings us one step closer to publishing the book and sending it around the world. Part of the campaign is making the book available to children via schools and other child serving organizations. You can choose to make a contribution that will allow me to donate books to worthy groups as well as secure first edition copies for yourself. You can join me in the exciting adventure of bringing the "Oh My, Mia Meow!" Children's Picture Book to the world by clicking on the link below:
The Indiegogo campaign for the "Oh My, Mia Meow!" - Children's Picture Book is now live! Be among the first to contribute and join in the fun! Contributing to the campaign entitles you to special rewards, including copies of the book and Mia Meow artworks. You can also have your contribution go towards donating copies of the book to schools and other child serving organizations. Read about the book and how you can help in its creation and publication process. Please share it with others, too, as the success of a crowdfunding campaign depends on getting the word out! Thanks so much for your support! Life is an Adventure! BZTAT
Have you heard about the "Oh My, Mia Meow!" Children's Picture Book Project? I have done a lot of special projects through the years, and all have been important in some way. This project, however, rises to a whole new level of importance for me. The more I get into it, the more I realize that this book can have significant impact on the lives of children, and there is nothing more important than making a difference to a child. The book itself is simple. An ordinary cat faces everyday obstacles and seeks to find a way to overcome them. In the process, she discovers her power through creativity and ingenuity, and she becomes a very extraordinary cat. She explores new environments and meets a variety of animal friends along the way. It is an adventure that is revealed through colorful illustrations that intrigue and enamor children, and thus, inspire their imaginations. Simple books for children can have a lot of power. Life lessons that are revealed through endearing stories and imaginative illustrations help children develop perspectives to shape their understanding of the world. Tapping into children's imaginations allows us to broaden their understanding so they can create their own worldview. So, what is so important about this book project?
- The stories and artwork of Mia Meow grew out of my work with preschool children. Their enthusiasm for the character, the artwork, and the story is what inspired me to create the book.
- The Mia Meow story teaches children that they can overcome obstacles with creative thinking and imaginative resourcefulness.
- Our culture tends to emphasize idealized stereotypes of power and mastery. Typical childhood "superheroes" have unrealistic strength and mythical weapons to demonstrate power, and they give children an unrealistic vision of how they should engage with their world. The story of Mia Meow lays a more realistic foundation for a child's belief in his or her own creative abilities as a source of personal power.
- The story encourages arts integration as an important learning process for young children. The arts are key to childhood learning and healthy emotional development, yet so many schools struggle to maintain arts programming due to funding cuts. Mia Meow offers a creative and fun approach to learning which is supported by research in its effectiveness.
- The book engenders a love and empathy for animals, encouraging children to be considerate and respectful of all creatures.
- The book project and crowdfunding program, which will be launched soon, has a goal of raising funds for creating and publishing the book, but beyond that, there is also a goal of donating books to programs that serve children. My hope is that the crowdfunding campaign, once launched, will raise enough funds to donate books to:
- Preschool classrooms of schools involved in the Artful Living Program, where the Mia Meow story and art were inspired.
- The Canton, OH Police Department Community Policing Program, as a way for police officers to develop positive relationships with children and families in challenged neighborhoods.
- Libraries in Stark County, OH and surrounding areas.
- Other school and youth programs designated by contributors. Although my own focus will be local programs, my hope is that contributors will consider donating books to programs worldwide.